Sunday, January 08, 2006

Top 15 albums of 05'

15) Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die

One of the breakout indie artists of 2005 it seems. As their previous release didn't get near as much publicity or attention - "In Case We Die" saw the light of day of many year-end lists. With their lush, complex indie-pop arrangements, it was hard to see how anyone didn't catch on to this record - unless you don't enjoy a solid indie-pop record!


14) Matisyahu - Live at Stubbs

It seems like alot of hipsters tried to hate on this guy, atleast from my experience. I gladly jumped on bandwagon and took this record and spun it for weeks during the summer months.


13) Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering

One of the better folk albums I've heard in quite some times. It doesnt get made like this anymore, although noone really caught her on the 1st time around when playing with Donovan - she gained a new young "hipster" crowd with this album.


12) Broken Social Scene - S/T

Ever since "Feel Good Lost" I have been absolutely hooked on this band. When I first bought this record it actually forced me into a fit of rage because I hated it so much. Soon after I kept spinning it and each and everytime the grooves were played the raw emotion sang to me. Its then when I came to realize the power and audacity of this record - the kind of audacity that keeps indie rock alive.


11) Common - Be


The only hip-hop release on my top 15 for this year. Although it was Commons largest success of his 6 releases - it just clicked with me. The very moment I got this record I knew it would end up on this list. It was one of the few that never wore down throughout the year
10) Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Jacksonville City Nights/Cold Roses




Why people enjoy to hate Ryan Adams I will never understand. I'll never forget Magnet magazine calling him the Colin Farrell of Indie Rock. Ryan Adams is one of the only artists I can count on to keep playing until he croaks - whether that be rather soon (considering he has turned into quite a madman - or this is the "image" he gives off) or later in life - He will keep popping out records. If he stays at this 3 albums a year rate - God only knows what we will get out of him


9) Low - The Great Destroyer

One of my favorite bands of all time. This record took on a new face for the band and left alot of fans behind with it. Just because it went louder doesn't mean it went for the worst. I recommend this record highly along with the rest of their discography. Dave Friddman brillianty produced this album and honestly garned my heart for voting him best producer of 2005.


8) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - S/T


There is nothing I can say about this band that hasn't been said. This is the epitome of indie rock. It seems like there are elements from every single indie band thrown into one. I'll take it.
7) M Ward - Transistor Radio

Mr. Matt Ward's songwriting I am forever a sucker for. This album pinpointed my emotions for the entire year - and although he may not have ended up on everyones year-end list - its the emotional attachment that makes an album great.


6) My Morning Jacket - Z


Ah, Good Ol' MMJ. One of the few bands that truly make me tingle inside when listening to music. If this was a live music chart they would be number 1 - but for the records sake they lie here at number 6. A solid and beautiful release from a band I count on to take my music troubles away - Its no Tennessee Fire, but it still holds a place in my heart - I think all 4 MMJ albums complete me.
5) Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

Fuck - its always the guys that dont like playing that are the best. Sufjan decided earlier this month that he is taking a break from music to do other things. I don't understand people - especially musicians


4) David Thomas Broughton - The Complete Guide to Insufficiency


Freak Folk is a genre that I cant get enough of . David Thomas Broughton is a small artist out of the UK that I found on www.gorillavsbear.net (my favorite blog to check up on) and I was not let down. This man truly produces the best of what you can do with an acoustic guitar and the human voice. The bare emotion flowing through the speakers when listening to the album makes me want to weep.
3) Sleater Kinney - The Woods


Dave Friddman does it again. This album was HOT and these girls can play their fucking instruments. This was by far the hardest rocking album of 2005 hands down and I will beg to differ with anyone that disputes it. The jams and vocal arrangements on this album are otherworldly
2) Most Serene Republic - Underwater Cinematographer


My favorite debut of 2005 and also one of my favorite albums. It seems as if absolutely nobody caught on to this record - The only band on Arts & Crafts that has nothing to do with Broken Social Scene. Their live set is what won me over. The lead singer freakishly reminds of Jim Carrey. Usually thats not such a good thing - but he has red hair and hes from Canada and sings probably a hell of alot better than Jim Carrey would. There is something in the air in Canada - im convinced.


1) Sigur Ros - Takk...

I couldnt help but pick this for the number 1. Although it seems cliche I can't think of a more beautiful record - and I always pick my number one when I think which one will have the largest effect on me in the long run and this was that album without question. While making the drive home from Nashville to Kentucky Sigur Ros had my full attention the entire way as the sunset came and then night fell. If there are angels on earth - they landed in Iceland.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats a killer list. i didn't know sufjan was taking a break- it makes me really sad!

1/08/2006 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-leah was the anonymous comment.

1/08/2006 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice choices..but you left out bloc party..and eventhough we probably don't listen to them much now it was a breakthrough record..i understand why people hate ryan adams..he is an asshole!..i'll share you my ryan adams stories soon..i was at the show at the ryman where he completely fucking destroyed himself..i still love him though..i dont even know who that common is..you should check out this hiphop group called people under the stairs..what else? m. ward..i really can't get into the latest album..transfiguration of vincent was perfect i suppose..make that an attachment!!..since i love country and rocknroll..i'd have to say that shooter jennings released a pretty good album in march of 2005 called put the o back in country..ha..other good 2005 albums..feist's 'let it die'..and the neil young record..the fiona record was good before it got released and megaproduced..can't forget the paul mccartney album..i suppose kings of leon..and i will stop b/c i have realized i am ranting..bye bye
nicole

1/09/2006 1:11 PM  
Blogger Jobo said...

yah, Ryan can be an asshole - but watching him destroy himself is fun. But since a guy is an asshole - can you shun yourself from his music? I never understood why people would hate someones music because the person was an asshole. Its the music that counts - and thank god he is making it. As for feist, shooter jennings, bloc party, and fiona. I just didnt personally like any of those albums enough to put them on the list. I cant stand bloc party (call me crazy), to me they are about as generic as indie rock gets - completely uninspired. Feist had a great record and if this was a top 25 it would have been on here. Shooter and Fiona - neither of them clicked with me enough to get more than 2 or 3 spins this year.

1/09/2006 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i don't listen bloc party that much either..but i definitely give them a lot of credit due to the demand for their record from all sides..they're good..i will let you borrow a copy of fiona's album when it was leaked on the internet a year or so ago if you want..if you haven't already heard the difference..feist is playing at belcourt on february 3rd..as for mister adams..watching him destroy himself is fun..but at that ryman show he was so completely fucked that he totally slayed bob dylan's joey..and almost demolished come pick me up..it was the worst show i've been to but i'm so glad that i went..ryans a favorite of mine..we should play some of his tunes together sometime! nicole

1/09/2006 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home